Saturday, June 30, 2012

EMERGENCY

    Towards the beginning of this year I started watching a show on t.v. called "Dooms Day Preppers." I totally enjoyed watching all the backwoods looney-bins talk about the end of the world, and how they were going to survive it! Before I knew it though, I was buying first aid supplies and stockpiling food! (Don't you judge me! Haha!) I tell you this, not because I think the end of the world is upon us, but because I believe it is practical to prepare ourselves for times of hardship. Having food storage, first aid knowledge, and an emergency plan in place is not unreasonable, but in fact a great idea!

   

    A while back on my facebook page I asked all 400+ of my closest friends (most of which live in Southern California) if they possessed an earthquake kit in their home. Out of all of my friends only 2 responded with a "yes". I felt both shocked and relieved; shocked because 2 is such a small number, and relieved because I wasn't the only one who didn't have a kit! As of late, the news has been plagued with fires in Colorado, Hurricanes in Florida, power outages in Virginia, and Tornadoes in numerous places. All these forces are things that we don't really have control over, and even the best prepared person might not come out unscathed when facing them, so how do we think an unprepared person would fair? In California we are faced with the possibility of an earthquake. Most locals will brush earthquakes off as no big deal, and consider them just a part of life here in So Cal, however, earthquakes are unpredictable and can cause huge amounts of damage in a matter of seconds. I think it would behoove us all to be prepared for one!
    Some steps to work through to prepare yourself:
      1. Be informed: know what kind of disasters can occur in your area, know what to do before, during and after one.
      2. Make a plan: construct an emergency plan for your family (do you stay put, or evacuate) Know how to execute this plan, practice it!
      3. Build a kit: The government recommends that each individual have a 3 day supply of food and water, and medical supplies.
    These are just some points to get you started towards protecting both you and your family in unexpected times. To explore these points further please visit: http://www.ready.gov/be-informed .
I have gone through these steps to prepare my family, and I hope that you will do the same! :)




*While I enjoy watching about dooms-dayers, I am not one! I believe the Lord will rapture the church before "the end of the world" happens! :) However, the Bible does state in Mark 5:8, " Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the the beginning of the birth pains." This is giving reference to signs of the end times. So family, be prepared so we can continue to be a light until He calls us home! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment